Monday, December 14, 2009

When in Roam...

So the post-posbash roam had a rough start.  The FC was late due to RL issues so after waiting a little while, one of the members decided to FC for a quick loop while we waited for the regular FC.

I've been on a couple of roams and feel like I'm about 100 years away from being able to competently FC a roam.  The situational awareness that the FC maintains, juggling systems, scouts, fleet and rear-guard is quite an act.

Our FC took us out and about looking for targets.   We were going to do about a 10 system loop-some lowsec, some nullsec.  After 3-4 jumps we started getting target reports from the scouts.  The targets were from Dust to Dust Alliance, which apparently my corp has some history with.  They appear to have us a bit out-gunned, flying BSs while we were all in BCs or Frigs.  We keep an eye on them as they appear to be shadowing us (hunter becomes hunted?)  As we sat in a SS eyeing the next gate we were about to take them on.  Then local spiked and scouts reported both gates into system were camped by D2D and soon probes were out.  The FC needed some time to evaluate the situation.  So he had the main fleet logout at the SS.  We stayed on vent to discuss the plan.  After about 10 min scouts reported that the D2D gang was dispersing.  FC had us all log in.

There were still 2 D2D ships at our target gate, and we figured we'd have no problem taking them.  We approached the gate and only one enemy Hurricane remained.  FC was getting reports from scouts about the other side of the gate.  Hurricane began targetting me.  FC instructs to engage.  I got a web and a damp on him when local spiked again.  Four D2D ships came through the gate.   I was apparently primaried for some reason.  Shield down and armor started slipping about 10% per second.  Then the rest of the trap was sprung...apparently two can play the logoff game as 8-10 more D2D ships warped into the gate.  FC called 'jump jump jump.'  They were into my structure as my lasers were working the Cane.  Got into armor when I popped.  Spammed to warp out and saved my pod (no implants, but it's a pride thing.)  Everyone else made it through and to a station.  The station I took my pod to was camped.

I waited in my rookie ship.  As the rest of the fleet regrouped and tried to evaluate their options for getting out, I decided to make a run for it.  I was able to get out of the station and warp to SS.  Now the gate.  As I listened to Vent, the main fleet was getting ready to make a break for it.  As they made a juicier target, I knew the enemy would be focused on them.  They started playing station games with the D2D guys camped in their system.  I made my move.  I hit the gate, jumped and kept going to get back to home station to re-fit.  It worked and I got back safe.  The rest of the fleet finally made it out a short time later.

Exciting, but a tad disappointing.  Still waiting for that first ship-to-ship kill.  It appears there is more dead pos bashing in our future.  It's good money and fits the pirate-scavenger MO.  But I'm still itching for a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment