Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Blog Banter Special Edition

We know the EVE Online Community is unique in so many ways, and that EVE Online is like no other MMORPG out there. But what makes the game special for you?

What is it that makes this particular virtual world so enticing, so mysterious and so alluring that we keep coming back for more. Why is EVE one of the very few MMOs to see a continuous growth in its subscriber.

 **********************************************
While I have concerns about CK's use of the word "love" in this context...as the quote from "The Truth About Cats and Dogs" goes, "It's ok to love your [game], just don't love your [game]."

I enjoy playing EvE.  It satisfies a lot of different 'itches' I have when looking for gameplay.
  1. Intellectual-regardless of the playstyle or activity, the return is always based on the amount of thought you put into it.  If you're looking for a bit of straight pew-pew, you can just hop in a T1 Frigate and head for lowsec looking for trouble.  It will find you.  Duke  it out.  Die (or live) and go fit out another.  Crank up the thought processes and make it an inty or cloaker and do some sniping..  Then there's gangs and fleets.  Being a competent FC requires a lot of forethought, 3-dimensional thinking and tactical skill.
  2. Artisitic-taking tours of New Eden simply to view the scenery can be enjoyable.  A lot of people knock the art as being too basic for a modern game, but some of the scenes, whether peaceful or mid-battle makes for great screenshots and wallpapers.
  3. Camaraderie- I've had acquaintances in other games...guildmates and the like...but there is a core group of players that I've been involved with since my first week in EvE.  We keep a channel up for discussions and keep most of our talk about in-game stuff, but occasionally discuss some out of game issues.  I would consider them my closest e-friends.
  4. Sworn Enemies-in contrast to the above, there are a few players that have made it to my 'poopy-list.'  They will always be KoS to me when possible.  The ability to generate that kind of passion in 'just a game' I find truly interesting.
  5. The meta-game-this includes the blogging community, tweetfleet as well as 3d party app development.  There are dozens of things you can do in  EvE without ever logging in.
Then there's mining, exploring, epic arcs....My current sub runs til December....I'm sure I'll re-up after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment